Starts Tuesday 22nd September, 6pm - 9pm
Learning the basics of machine sewing over a 6-week block. If you have never touched a sewing machine or haven’t used one in a while this is the class for you, and you'll try a variety of projects to get you started.
Our popular Sewing Machine Basics class will give you a solid introduction to sewing machine essentials, learn all the basics that you need to get started and build your confidence. Each sewing project will introduce a new skill building up your sewing knowledge. Enjoy some social time meeting other likeminded creative people in our sewing studio. You will skip out of the studio each session having made some beautiful handmade creations.
This class is suitable for adults only, age 16+. No previous machine sewing experience is required.
Please carefully check our Terms & Conditions prior to booking.
For information on how we have adapted our bookings/terms and studio practices with regards to Covid-19, please click here.
WHAT THE CLASS WILL COVER:
We take it right back to basics and go through the different parts of the sewing machine itself, learn how to wind the bobbin, thread a machine, change a needle, adjust the tension and change the stitches. Here is what we will cover each week:
Get to grips with the sewing machine. Learn how to sew in a straight line, turn at a corner and handle curves. We show you how to pin, sew seams and understand seam allowance. You'll make a really useful shopping tote!
WEEK 2 & 3
Develop your skills further by making fun reversible apron - you'll learn how to cut from a pattern, use a rotary cutter, make a pocket, straps and ties. You'll tackle some neat top-stitching too.
WEEK 4 & 5
This week will focus on applique. You will make a personalised cushion panel with an envelope back. You'll also learn how to add decorative trim for an impressive finished result. This is a great project for using up lots of scraps and making something creative for your home.
It's now time to insert your first zip! We will show you how to make a fully lined zipper purse to stretch your growing skills. You can also plan your future projects and ask for advice.
- Professional tuition and guidance from Victoria & Aileen
- Patterns & templates for use in the class
- Use of our Janome sewing machines
We use Janome M100 QDC machines in class - it’s not possible to bring your own machine to a group beginner’s class. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING:
- 0.5 metre of quilt-weight craft cotton fabric for your tote bag. If you also purchase another 0.5 metre in a complimentary quilt-weight craft cotton, you will have enough to make a co-ordinating handles and matching zipper pouch (or two) in later weeks.
- Please note that fabric requirements for the follow-on projects will be explained in class to assist you with making appropriate fabric choices.
- Machine-sewing thread, Janome bobbin (available in class)
- Basic sewing kit (fabric scissors, tape measure, seam ripper, pins etc.) - due to Covid-19 restrictions, you MUST bring or purchase your own sewing kit as we cannot currently provide shared equipment.
- Bring a notebook to jot down measurements, instructions and any future fabric requirements.
- The Sew Studio basic sewing kit is available to purchase at the first session for a special price of £15 for workshop participants (normally £19.99)
Week 1 - Tuesday 22nd September, 6pm - 9pm
Week 2 - Tuesday 29th September, 6pm - 9pm
Week 3 - Tuesday 6th October, 6pm - 9pm
Week 4 - Tuesday 13th October, 6pm - 9pm
Week 5 - Tuesday 20th October, 6pm - 9pm
Week 6 - Tuesday 27th October, 6pm - 9pm