Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November
Learn how to make a pair of jeans that fit your body perfectly in this weekend sewing workshop! The thought of sewing jeans can be very intimidating to many sewers - our tutors Sewing Bee semi-finalist Jen Hogg and our in-house tutor Victoria Nutt will guide you through the process step by step over this two day course.
Learn how to make a pair of jeans that fit your body perfectly in this weekend sewing workshop! The thought of sewing jeans can be very intimidating to many sewers so Jen Hogg and Victoria Nutt will guide you through the process step by step over this two day course.
Due to COVID 19, in a change to previous weekends we ask that you come with your Ginger Jeans all cut out and ready to start sewing on day 1. However, a zoom meeting will take place 3 weeks prior to the weekend to discuss your pattern and any fit issues or pattern alterations required. We will give you information and confidence to make the cut! You will receive an email after the call with details and links to everything we have discussed. Jen and Victoria will be on hand to help with any issues or concerns that you may have and will also be available on email if you have any questions.
We have made changes to the studio space so that we can socially distance in classes, all participants are required to wear a mask and there will be plenty of opportunities to break for some fresh air. Your safety in class is our priority and all studios are cleaned before and after each day. Due to COVID 19 all participants are required to bring their own sewing kit, including scissors, snips, seam ripper, thread, needles. Sewing machines will be provided and again are cleaned before and after use.
7th & 8th November 2020. The workshop will be held in our studio starting at 9am and finishing at 5pm on both days.
ABOUT THE PATTERN:
The ‘Ginger’ Jeans is an iconic pattern that has become a wardrobe staple for many sewists. View A features a comfortable low rise with narrow stovepipe legs. View B is sexy and high-waisted with skinny legs and a tummy-slimming pocket stay. Engineered to be as flattering as possible, Ginger Jeans feature subtly shaped back pockets to highlight the curve of the bum, slimming side seams and a higher back rise to prevent peekabooty. Designed for stretch denim, Ginger Jeans will hug you in all the right places.
WHAT THE CLASS WILL COVER:
- Learn to make jeans that will fit your body
- Making simple fit alterations which will make a big difference
- How to apply accurate and neat top stitching in jeans construction
- How to evenly place and sew jeans patch pockets
- Learn how to insert a jean zip fly front
- Professional tuition with Jen Hogg & Victoria Nutt
- On booking, you will receive a 20% discount code for our shop/website that you can use to assist with your fabric/pattern/notions purchases.
- For the full weekend the tutor to student ratio will be 1:4
- Your own copy of the Ginger Jeans Printed Pattern posted to you before the event
- Goody Bag!
- Use of all sewing machines and overlockers
- Catered lunch on Sunday
- Patience and space to get creative!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING:
- Your sewing kit – fabric scissors, paper scissors, rotary cutter, stitch unpick, pins, tape measure etc
- Your pattern cut in denim fabric and cotton pocket lining ready to complete your Ginger Jeans.
- This pattern requires denim with at least 2% stretch. Please follow link for the quantity required. Please note that denim above 8oz is best – anything below this would be too light weight. The Sew Studio provide Ginger Jeans kits which are available for purchase and can be posted to you.
- Top stitching and regular thread
- Interfacing and hardware (zips, rivets etc.) will be available to purchase on the day.
- Bring a packed lunch on Saturday (lunch will be catered for you on the Sunday)
Jen Hogg has been sewing and knitting for longer than she can remember, and appeared on BBC2’s The Great British Sewing Bee 2019. She reached the semi-final and was described by the programme as “one of the most consistent and talented sewers ever to take part”. Since the programme finished, Jen has been asked to speak about her experiences around Scotland, including at events at John Lewis in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and has given classes on knitting and sewing techniques from beginner to advanced levels. She has various projects in the pipeline including as a professional contributor for a national sewing magazine.
Local girl Victoria graduated from Glasgow Caledonian University in 2003 with a first class honours degree in Fashion Business and has been sewing ever since! Dressmaking is her passion and you can often find her most recent makes uploaded on her Instagram page @sewing_nutt. She has been a tutor at Sew Yarn Crafty & The Sew Studio since 2016 and teaches various workshops including beginners/intermediate sewing and dressmaking, overlocker classes and hosting sit and sew days.
This is an intermediate/advanced beginner class and so is not suitable for complete beginners. You must have some sewing experience under your belt and have previously used a sewing pattern.
The Ginger Jeans are designed for US sizes 0 – 20 so please check the size chart for your measurements and if you have any questions please contact us.
To assist you with booking & planning your project, we have listed a £100 deposit option, so that you can secure your space on this workshop and pay in full one week before the event (we will send you a PayPal bill for the balance). It's important to note that £75 of any ticket for this event is absolutely non-refundable as considerable work goes into preparing this sewing weekender ahead of time to make it the best that it can be.
This class is suitable for adults only. Minimum age 16+
Please carefully check our Terms & Conditions prior to booking.
For information on how we have adapted our bookings/terms and studio practices with regards to Covid-19, please click here.
Our goal is to get your jeans finished in the weekend. Depending on your sewing pace and experience this may not be possible. We will however make sure that you leave the weekend confident with any finishing required at home.
Please contact us if you are travelling from far and we can provide information on hotels and Air BnB options local to the store.
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING FABRIC:
Your denim and lining fabric must be pre-washed and pressed prior to attending the workshop in order to avoid shrinking once the garment has been constructed. Check the fabric washing instructions when purchasing and wash in a similar way as you would wash once you have turned the fabric into a fabulous garment.