Starts Wednesday 30th September, 6.30pm - 9pm
It's time to tackle a classic sampler quilt, learning lots of new techniques to cut, piece together and create a variety of traditional quilt blocks! Perfect for those who are still fairly new to patchwork & improvers too, you'll work towards creating a square throw approx 2m finished size. You may be required to do some 'homework' in between classes, however nine finished blocks will be a manageable size over six weeks. You'll quilt and bind your creation having learned many new skills along the way.
This class is suitable for confident beginners - you must already know some basic patchwork skills & techniques like the quarter inch seam and tried some basic rotary cutting.
This workshop is not suitable for complete sewing beginners - we would advise you try one of our beginners workshops first.
This class is suitable for adults only, age 16+.
Please carefully check our Terms & Conditions prior to booking.
For information on how we have adapted our bookings/terms and studio practices with regards to Covid-19, please click here.
WHAT THE CLASS WILL COVER:
- Learn new techiques with each different 'block' of the quilt including 'Flying Geese', 'Log Cabin' and 'Half-Square Triangle' blocks.
- Learn how to cut, sew & pin accurately and finish with perfect patchwork blocks
- Layering, basting and binding for the perfect finish
- Machine quilting your finished project
- Making and attaching beautiful binding
- Professional tuition
- Patterns and handouts for reference
- Use of our digital Janome sewing machines
We provide Janome digital M-Series sewing machines for use in our class. You may be able to bring your own machine to use in our workhsop however you must phone us after booking if you'd like to do this and your machine must be in good working order and fitted with a 1/4" quilting foot.
If it is suitable to bring your own machine, you'll need to arrive early to set it up and come with your machine's handbook.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING:
- You will be advised on fabric choices in the first class. You can opt to use your stash of fat quarters for a scrappy look (approx 2.5m total), or choose co-ordinating/contrasting arrangements of 3-5 patterns.
- Approx 2m fabric for backing/binding
- 2m cotton or 80:20 wadding
- Co-ordinating machine-quilting cotton thread and machine bobbin
- Basic sewing kit (scissors, tape measure, thimble, seam ripper, pins etc.) and a rotary cutter with suitable ruler
- Bring a notebook and pen to record your plans, make a note of progress (and homework to keep you on track!)
Week 1 - Wednesday 30th September, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 2 - Wednesday 7th October, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 3 - Wednesday 14th October, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 4 - Wednesday 21st October, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 5 - Wednesday 28th October, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 6 - Wednesday 4th November, 6.30pm - 9pm